Thursday, May 20, 2010

Spotlight Graduate


Through the wonders of Facebook I'm finding out that I have a lot of random cousins who are graduating this spring. This is wonderful, because it means that I have a lot of smart cousins, and to celebrate this I get to use my new Go, Graduate stamp set!! I tried a new technique with this card - it's called 'Spotlighting.' Most of the time I don't really see the point, but I think in this case it actually does highlight a cute area of the stamp. I'm trying to match up the paper somewhat to the school where each person is graduating from, but I'm finding it not to be as easy as one would think. Oh well. If I can't exactly figure out their school colors, I'm just winging it and using up some of my Stampin Up colors that are going to retire so I can make room for the new stuff coming soon.
To do this spotlight, I stamped the image on whisper white, and then stamped it again on another piece of whisper white and punched out the part I wanted to spotlight. I colored the punched piece with OMS and my black prisma pencil for the graduation gown and used my SU markers for the legs and shoes. I matted that piece on a 1 3/8" circle punched out of black paper. I lined up the spotlight image on top of the uncolored image and glued it down. I used my ruler to draw guidelines to stamp the Congratulations, Graduate! stamp and then erased the pencil guidelines once the ink dried. The gray and floral papers are from a 6x6 BasicGrey paper pad, the name of which is escaping me now and I'm too lazy to go upstairs and look.
I think (hope!) in the next couple days I'm going to be able to show you a non-card project that I'm working on. I found a really cool technique that I'm playing with so check back soon for that!


Card Supplies: (All supplies from Stampin' Up unless otherwise noted)
Stamps: Go, Graduate
Cardstock: Whisper White, Lovely Lilac, BasicGrey
Ink: Stazon Black
Other Stuff: 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" circle punches, OMS, prisma pencil, SU markers

No comments:

Post a Comment