Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year blog!!!!! I know, I know, it's been FOREVER since I've posted, but I promise I can explain. Remember way back when in December when I last posted, and I talked about my concussion and the CAT scan? Well, what I didn't mention is that when they did the scan to make sure my brain wasn't bleeding, they found something else. That's exactly what they told me too: There's "something else" there and we think you should follow up with your family doctor (like my family doctor knows what to do with "something else" in my brain, right??) Anyway, I digress. Long story short is that I have a brain tumor. The wonderful and absolutely fantastic news about this is that it is the magic word: benign. I waited on pins and needles for almost 10 days to hear that blissful and magnificent word but it was worth it. Also wonderful (as far as brain tumors go, that is) is that it is on top of my brain and not really inside it (although still on the inside of my skull). It's called a meningioma and honestly, as far as brain tumors go, the neurosurgeon rates it pretty low on his excitement level, which is always good when you're the patient. The 'easy' location makes the whole tumor-extraction and recovery process much easier than if it were deep inside my brain or near something very sensitive, like my brain stem or somewhere like that. The not-so-great news is that the neurosurgeon feels that it needs to come out at some point, although I can plan for it with no immediate rush. I'm going to get another MRI done in March to make sure it's not growing too fast so I can decide if it has to come out soon or if it can wait until after my sister gets married on New Year's Eve 2011.
This whole experience has made me do a little re-evaluating and I think that this blog got a little bit too big for me. Trying to post every day was starting to take up a bit more time that I should have let it. So this year I think I'm going to tone it down some. I still plan on posting, and pretty often, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't post 5-7 times a week. This is my hobby and relaxation, and I need to keep it fun and relaxing for me, not stress-inducing. So please bear with me as I move forward.
Tonight's picture is a gift I made for both my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. I bought them the Simply Adorned lockets and these are some of the inserts I made to go inside. I love these lockets because they are super-easy to change out the insert, so you can have fun with them on different holidays or simply change the insert to reflect your mood each time you wear it.

1 comment:

  1. Karla, I for one, know the challenges of getting a blog done. I think that you are making a good choice. Although you never asked, I will be praying for you. You know how much I care aboout you. I'm glad it's benign, but prayers don't hurt! Love & Hugs!!! Oh, and great work, as always!!

    ReplyDelete